What is so great about Hemp fibres and fabrics?
Why would you choose to put your purchase power behind Hemp clothing and homewares?
Let’s face it. Hemp has become a buzzword in a lot of Green/Sustainable fashion brands now…organic cotton is so early 2000’s!!!
Seriously though, if you are interested in the history and science let’s look at some facts:
- Hemp, or Cannabis Sativa, is an ancient plant that has been cultivated for 1000s of years
- Hemp fabric is spun from the flexible stem fibre of Cannabis Sativa, while the stems and raw waste materials break down and feed the soil.
- Growing Hemp is extremely fast, averaging only 100 days from planting to harvest. Cotton, on the other hand, takes six months.
- Hemp fabrics are stronger, more absorbent, more durable, and better insulating than cotton.
- Hemp fabric’s don’t stretch out of shape. This quality makes Hemp perfect for uses beyond clothing, including linen and upholstery.
So why would you need/want Hemp fabrics in your life?
- Like linen and cotton, Hemp softens over time. However, due to its high strength and tenacity, it lasts longer and becomes softer than you could ever imagine.
- Being a natural fabric, Hemp is biodegradable.
- Hemp is extremely breathable and thermo-regulating, making it great for under & outerwear, nappies and bedding.
- The Hemp plant is a hearty, drought resistant crop which thrives in a variety of soil and climates.
- Hemp uses 75% less water than cotton.
- Per acre, Hemp yields up to 250% more fibre than cotton and up to 600% more fibre than flax (linen)!
- Hemp is a naturally organic crop that requires no herbicides or pesticides.
Heres a few 100% Hemp fabric pieces we believe in wearing…
Make sure you sign up to hempstore.com.au to receive our newsletter & see our latest delivery of hot Hemp goodies. Plus you can take advantage of our Loyalty Club to gain quick points for $ discounts and be the first to hear about our up coming promos!